Bipolar disorder affects more than two million Americans. It is a condition that is lifelong but can be managed with treatment. At Mile High Recovery, we are committed to treating bipolar disorder both in our dual diagnosis treatment center and in our mood disorder and depression treatment program here in Colorado. Since more than 70% of those diagnosed with bipolar disorder have a co-occurring substance use disorder – a rate much higher than the general population – treating bipolar disorder early and effectively is critical.
To learn more about how Mile High Recovery can help you or a loved one with bipolar disorder, reach out today by completing our easy online form or picking up the phone to call 855.796.2102.
Bipolar Disorder Signs and Symptoms
Bipolar disorder is characterized by cycling between mania (or hypomania) and major depressive episodes. Mania is characterized by:
- Increased energy and agitation
- A grandiose sense of confidence and well-being
- Being wired or jumpy
- Pressured speech
- Poor decision making
- Racing thoughts
When depression hits, daily functioning becomes increasingly difficult. A severe episode will include many of these symptoms:
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Inability to concentrate
- Extreme changes in weight
- Lack of interest in most things
- Sleep disturbances (sleeps too much or can’t sleep)
- Suicidal thoughts
There are dangers involved in both aspects of bipolar disorder, and someone showing the symptoms above must receive professional help as soon as possible.
Bipolar Disorder Treatment in Colorado
Bipolar disorder is almost always treated with medications to balance moods and allow you to function without the wild swings that can make so many aspects of life a challenge. Ongoing therapies combined with a lifetime medication regimen can effectively manage bipolar disorder.
Some of the most effective therapies for bipolar disorder are available at Mile High Recovery. They include:
- Psychoeducation: Knowledge is power. Part of your therapy will be learning about bipolar disorder, understanding how treatment works, and developing coping skills. Relapse prevention is emphasized, and you will learn why continuity of treatment is so critical.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT’s effectiveness lies in its ability to help you replace negative belief systems with healthy thoughts and beliefs. By realigning thought patterns in a positive direction, you can manage stress, become less reactive, and avoid things that trigger bipolar episodes.
- Family therapy: At Mile High, we are fully aware of the benefits of family therapy both for addiction recovery and mental health treatment. It is particularly effective for treating bipolar disorder as the support and understanding of your loved ones is an enormous part of treatment success.
- Medication management: We have psychiatrists and other prescribers who can manage your medication as you begin treatment for bipolar disorder.
Bipolar Disorder Treatment Center – Mile High Recovery
At Mile High Recovery’s bipolar disorder treatment center, quality, evidence-based bipolar and other depression treatment in Denver, CO is available to you. If you have a co-occurring substance use disorder, you will be in the right place. Our therapists and other addiction specialists are qualified to offer dual diagnosis treatment that approaches your bipolar disorder and addiction in a coordinated approach, with a treatment plan individualized to your specific needs.
Mile High is situated in the heart of Denver’s city center and staffed with a team as savvy, experienced, and professional as any you’ll find. Our mission is your wellness, and we seek to support you in your mental health journey, your recovery journey, and any path toward well-being upon which you want to venture. Don’t wait to reach out to us if you are worried about yourself or see the warning signs of bipolar disorder in someone close to you. We can answer your questions and reassure you that help is available. Call 855.796.2102 or fill out our online form today.